What to Do When Your Hoverboard Battery Won't Retain a Charge
You've probably landed on this page because your hoverboard battery won't retain a charge. Follow our simple steps below to instantly know if your hoverboard battery is not working anymore, or if it could be a broken hoverboard charger.
How to Test if Your Hoverboard Battery Needs Replacement
- Plug your hoverboard charger into the wall plug. The light on the charger should turn green.
- Plug the hoverboard charger into the hoverboard itself, making sure to line up the 3-prongs correctly to the divot at the end.
- If the battery on your hoverboard is working properly, then the light on the charger should turn red. This red light means that your hoverboard battery is charging and that your problem lies elsewhere.
- If the battery on your hoverboard does not turn red but instead remains green, then your battery is either 100% full, or you have a defective hoverboard battery and it needs to be replaced.
- To determine if your hoverboard is full or empty, first, unplug the charger from the hoverboard.
- Once unplugged, turn on the hoverboard on.
- A) If your hoverboard turns on (after a full charge time) and has a red blinking light in the center, your hoverboard battery is defective and you need to buy a new hoverboard battery. B) If your hoverboard does not turn on at all, then you either need to buy a new hoverboard battery or your motherboard may be bad. C) If your hoverboard turns on and rides for hours, then your hoverboard battery does not need to be replaced.
How do I Fix a Broken Hoverboard Battery?
Unfortunately, a hoverboard battery that isn't working is not repairable by a common consumer, but it is replaceable!
For some of you who just purchased a hoverboard, you're probably wondering why your hoverboard battery is not charging. We hear it all of the time actually, "but my hoverboard is new! I just opened it yesterday!"
The problem doesn't lie with you, but with the original seller of the hoverboard. A lot of times companies will sit on thousands and thousands of unsold hoverboards. This is especially true in 2016 when Amazon and eBay stopped allowing hoverboards to be sold on their marketplaces. Sellers who sold hoverboards exclusively on Amazon and eBay had nowhere to sell anymore, so their inventory just sat while the batteries inside of the hoverboards slowly went back from lack of being charged.
So, the bad news is that if this story sounds all too familiar and describes you, then you're probably not going to get a response from the company who sold you the hoverboard (and good luck getting a battery replacement from them).
The good news is that you can replace the hoverboard battery with a brand new one from StreetSaw and your hoverboard will work like it was supposed to in the first place.
Where Can I Buy a New Hoverboard Battery?
Basic Hoverboard Battery
There are several different types of hoverboard batteries for sale. However, with all their differences, almost all of them are a "one size fits most" type of ordeal. The most common hoverboard battery replacement for 2015 and 2016 models is a blue shrink-wrapped one. This is also sometimes gray, or even green.
The blue shrink-wrapped battery is a basic battery that was included in most all hoverboard brands and models in 2015. The gray and green batteries were also from the same era but were much less popular battery models during that time.
UL2271 Certified Hoverboard Battery
In 2016, after news that hoverboard batteries were catching fire, major websites such as Amazon and eBay halted hoverboard sales in their tracks. A company known as UnderWriter's Laboratories, a professional safety standardization and compliance testing company, developed a methodology by which all new hoverboard batteries would abide by.
Almost all of these new "UL2271 Certified batteries" are contained within a thick black plastic shell, and contain improved thermal sensing circuit boards inside of them to prevent overheating and fires. These batteries are almost all exclusively black in color.
What if I have a Broken Hoverboard Charger Instead?
If none of the above seemed to work for you, then it's possible that it could be a broken hoverboard charger that's your problem. You can follow that link to a guide that will show you how to test if your hoverboard charger is bad.