- View All
- 10-Inch Hoverboards with Bluetooth for Sale by StreetSaw™
- 6.5-Inch Hoverboards with Bluetooth for Sale by StreetSaw™
- 8-Inch Hoverboards with Bluetooth for Sale by StreetSaw™
- Adult Hoverboards
- Best Hoverboard 2018
- Black Hoverboard
- Blue Hoverboard
- Cheap Hoverboards
- Hoverboard Accessories for Sale by StreetSaw™
- Hoverboard Repair Services
- Hoverboard Replacement Parts for Sale by StreetSaw™
- Hoverboards for Under $100 + FREE Hoverboard Contest
- Kids Hoverboards
- Off-Road Hoverboards
- Pink Hoverboard
- Red Hoverboard
- Replacement Hoverboard Wheels, Tires, & Motors
- Safest Hoverboards & Self Balancing Electric Scooters - StreetSaw™
- Street Use Hoverboards
- UL2272 Hoverboard
- White Hoverboard
Imagine being able to make your children leap with excitement while giving them the opportunity to grow, learn, and become better versions of themselves.
Because that’s the dream of most parents, right?
If you have little ones, you know that it’s the small things that make the difference with them.
The trip to the park, the bicycle ride, the cup of ice cream…
But if we’re honest, there aren’t many toys or leisurely activities that check both the fun and constructive box.
In fact, most of the seemingly fun options available are downright destructive for our children.
At one point, this was a difficult problem to solve for many parents.
The solutions exist and they’re becoming more and more sophisticated with technology.
The hoverboard for kids is one of these solutions.
What exactly is it? It’s a two-wheeled, self-balancing scooter that serves more functions than you can imagine.
The best part? It makes for a heck of a good time and it’s a very productive piece of tech.
Now to the burning question:
Are Hoverboards Kid Friendly?
They’ve been the hottest selling toys all year round and kids are in total awe of how they operate:
- Self-balancing technology
- Pressure sensitive footpads
- Motion sensors
- An all-round effortless glide
Simply put, kids love it.
With built-in safety features and with the necessary protective gear, safety is also covered.
The only question left to answer is:
What can a hoverboard do for your child and which one should you get?
This guide will give you the answers and all the information that you need to select a hoverboard for your kid.
Here’s what we’ll dive into:
- Why Getting Your Kid A Hoverboard Is A Genius Idea
- 5 Key Things To Consider When Choosing A Hoverboard For Your Child
- 5 Key Things Not To Do When Selecting A Hoverboard For Your Child
- When Is The Best Time To Get Your Child A Hoverboard?
- The Top StreetSaw Hoverboard Models For Children
Why Getting Your Kid A Hoverboard Is A Genius Idea
We already know that riding a hoverboard is undeniably, good-old fun.
It gives children the avenue to be physical, to release tension, and to simply be kids.
What you don’t know are the real-world, science-backed benefits of riding a hoverboard from a child development standpoint. You will be amazed at the many physical and cognitive advantages of this high-tech board.
Let’s get right to it.
The hoverboard for kids:
Sharpens Cognitive Function
I bet you didn’t know that this cool gadget can actually make your child smarter.
Is this a crazy, unproven claim? Not at all.
Will your child immediately get a 10 point IQ increase? Not exactly.
And that doesn’t matter because that’s not the desired intention.
We know how important it is for children to be capable of making smart choices both in and outside of the classroom.
When a challenging situation arises, you want them to make smart, rational choices, yes?
Well, when a child rides a hoverboard, they’re not just moving their physical bodies, they’re moving their mental muscles.
There are two key things that happen during that process that can sharpen your child’s mental agility:
- As a form of aerobic exercise, hoverboard riding increases the flow of oxygen- rich blood to the brain. Any form of light aerobic exercise gets the heart thumping which is undeniably beneficial for oxygen-dependent brain functions.
- It requires intense concentration to ride a hoverboard properly. The effect of this extreme level of concentration is to serve as a stimulus for the brain’s sensory processors. The more mentally stimulated a child is on a daily basis, the smarter they are in dealing with challenges.
Boosts Motor Skills and Dexterity
The mind get’s a mean workout and so does the body.
When a child’s lower extremities are exercised - hip, knees, thighs, ankles, and feet - their gross motor skills are significantly improved.
And so are all the benefits that come along with that.
What are gross motor skills? They’re in essence the skills that require full movement of the body.
Walking, running, sitting upright, jumping … it’s easy to take these functions for granted when they’re all intact but imagine what your quality of life would be like without them.
For some, it would be a challenge. For others, an outright tragedy.
Here’s how the hoverboard improves these motor skills:
- It helps children to control their balance and coordination by making use of their body movements.
- It helps younger children to understand how their bodies relate and function in the context of the environment that they’re in. That knowledge of body in relation to environment develops critical reflexes. Having intelligent and quick reflexes can often make the difference between life and death when children are suddenly placed in an emergency situation.
Develops Athletic Skills that Can be Transferred to Other Sports
Many sporting activities, while different in concept, often require the same physical skills.
In fact, in professional sports training, they call it the Transfer Principle.
Having mastered the skill of hoverboard riding, adopting a similar skill or applying the already learned skill to a different sport becomes decidedly easier.
When used consistently, the hoverboard for kids can develop and refine the following abilities:
- Strong core stability and balance
- Muscular strength particularly in the lower half of the body
- Physical endurance and stamina
- Visual and bilateral coordination skills
- Body awareness
- Motor planning and learning
Are all these skills broadly applicable to every field? All sports and other extracurricular activities require a degree of physical prowess so in essence, yes.
It teaches Patience and Discipline
There’s no more well-received positive discipline for children than hoverboard riding.
It’s no secret that children usually avoid what’s good for them like the plague. And that’s by no fault of theirs.
After all, the good stuff is typically unattractive.
Until now ...
Hoverboards are so fun, children don’t even notice that it’s teaching them the good virtue of patience while refining their discipline.
You see, getting the hang of maintaining perfect balance while hovering through tricky terrain, takes enormous composure and sheer grit.
We think you’d be hard-pressed to find a better teacher of consistency and diligence than mastering a hoverboard. It takes endurance to keep riding, tenacity to keep going every time you fail to master a move, and a refinement of skill to actually perfect a move.
When you finally get it right? That’s what they called delayed gratification and it does wonders for a child’s self-esteem.
It Improves Kids' Overall Health
Just when you thought this two-wheeled scooter couldn’t get any cooler, it’s a health booster too?
That’s right, but here’s another shocker:
When you ride a hoverboard for 30 mins, you can burn 285 calories on average.
What this means is, it can work as a substitute or complement to moderate exercise. As a fun, interactive, and effective workout, you simply can’t go wrong.
Particularly for children, it hits the mark in that it’s not intensive or too strenuous but has all the benefits of a regular aerobic exercise.
Other Benefits of Hoverboards for Kids Include
- Increases concentration and focus
- Encourages independence and creativity
- Builds self-esteem and refines social skills
- Nurtures a goal-setting attitude coupled with persistence
- Boosts cardiovascular fitness
- Encourages responsibility for personal safety
Now that we’ve seen the benefits, how exactly do you determine which hoverboard is right for your child?
Or at least, what factors should you consider?
5 Things To Consider When Choosing A Hoverboard For Your Child
The hoverboard model and brand that you opt for will depend on a range of factors. Style, functionality, safety - these may all be important to you - but ultimately here’s what we recommend you spend some time to think about before making that final choice:
What Purpose Do You Want the Hoverboard to Serve?
For many children, the hoverboard is a vehicle for adventure.
While it can be used for personalized commute, as a means to go from place to place, kids love it simply because it affords them a good time. They can ride solo or with friends and family.
Either way, it’s an amusing experience.
As a parent who’s interested in buying your child a hoverboard, you may want consider:
- Indoors or outdoors? The versatility of hoverboards lies in the fact that it can be used both indoors and outdoors. For internal use, you may want to get a board with a smaller frame and perhaps less speed. This will better allow your child to navigate small spaces and to ensure safety. On the other hand, there aren’t exactly any restrictions when getting a hoverboard for outdoor use except your personal preference.
- Off road adventure or smooth sailing? An off road hoverboard will be specially crafted to handle rough and uneven surfaces such as gravel, sand, or even grass. The distinction will manifest in larger wheels and if you wish, a higher speed limit. Contrarily, smaller wheels are perfectly suited to smooth and obstacle free terrain.
- Need for speed or slow down your horses? For very young children, you may not feel comfortable with an optimal speed limit. For others, they may desire an accelerated pace. Even with a hoverboard with a speed limit on the upper scale can be regulated with speed sensors so that safety is assured.
What Built-in Safety Features Do You Think Are a Necessity?
No doubt, safety is the prior concern for many parents. And with good reason.
The hoverboard doesn’t disappoint where security is concerned.
Inbuilt safety features of the hoverboard for kids include:
- Power status indicators - This component is included in the design to guard against any power related failures. What it does is to let the rider know when the board’s power dips below a certain level. Most boards come with this feature to prevent children from getting caught off guard by a sudden and screeching halt when their hoverboard powers out.
- Speed sensors - Parents are often comforted to know that there’s a fail safe where speed is concerned. Particularly for children, speeding is never recommended. But in the event that children get enamored by the idea, speed sensors are there to alert them. As soon as they surpass a certain speed limit that may be deemed as unsafe, they’re instantly notified. This limit can be set according to your own comfort.
- LED safety lights - The dual, front facing, LED safety lights help the rider to be completely aware of their environment by increasing visibility. This is particularly helpful at night or whenever there isn’t much natural light. It’s also beneficial for noticing and avoiding obstacles that may be in the way.
- UL 2272 Certification - It is critical that you decide upon a hoverboard company that is compliant with this new protection standard. The UL 2272 certification was introduced by The Underwriters Laboratories (UL) not too long ago. If your hoverboard carries this insignia, you can rest assured that the manufacturers have gone through rigorous tests to ensure safety. I’m guessing, you’ve heard about some of the controversial and somewhat common hazards that have been brought to the fore. This new safety standard is an apt and effective response to these concerns.
Apart from the safety features that are intrinsic to the hoverboard design, there’s a lot that you can do on your own accord to fortify the overall safety.
Some Additional Safety Tips for Children:
- Always wear safety gear
- Practice riding indoors first
- Hold on to a solid, steady surface to aid balance
- Don’t ride in busy streets or areas
- Choose an obstacle free riding spot to perfect your balance
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings
- Ride in areas and the times of day with high visibility
How Active and Physical is Your Child?
It’s fair to reason that most children are energizer bunnies.
They live for action and activity. They’re very participative. They enjoy being on the fast lane.
Some, however, are more physical and athletic than others. And if, as a parent, you’re worried about how your child’s dexterity level will affect the hoverboard riding excursion, we get it.
It looks complicated and the concept of a self-balancing board is difficult to wrap your head around.
Surely, your child will have to put in the brunt of the work to stay balanced, right?
The single most legitimate challenge might be that of mounting the board and getting that initial balancing act together. While the technology does most of the heavy lifting, it still requires some action and skill on the part of the rider to maintain coordination.
The encouraging news is that it’s not at all a tall order.
Everyone, children and adults alike, can master this.
If you’re still not at ease with the idea, we recommend you getting a hoverboard model that facilitates the process. You can even get accessories that may make it easier to control the board.
Some Beginner Tips for Children:
- Start small because you can’t go wrong with baby steps
- Perfect your skill with practice. Hoverboard riding has everything to do with consistency and nothing to do with athletic talent.
- Set riding milestones and work towards them diligently. Be sure to have a system of work and reward so it becomes more fulfilling to achieve these milestones.
- Be creative and have fun with it. You can get interesting moves on youtube or with a simple google search.
What Kids Size Hoverboard Does Your Child Need?
When we speak about size, we don’t necessarily mean the size of the hoverboard itself.
The size that matters is that of the wheels. Of course, bigger wheels usually mean a bigger hoverboard and vice versa.
But here’s why the wheel size in important:
- It determines the ultimate size and weight of the hoverboard. Small wheels means that you get a more compact and portable device. The larger the wheel, the heavier the board.
- It governs what type of surface that your board is better suited to. Larger wheels are excellent for giving a smooth glide on a bumpier surface. They usually come with inflatable tires that absorb shock and won’t give rise to an uncomfortable jolt when in contact with obstacles.
- It affects the flexibility of your hoverboard. Smaller wheels mean more flexibility which in turn translates to more tricks. This is because a smaller board can better maneuver narrow spaces and curves.
So what are the options when it comes to wheel size? The standard sizes are 6.5 inch, 8 inch, and 10 inch.
A hoverboard with a 6.5 inch set of wheels is usually the optimal choice for children. However, it is up to what it will be used for and the particulars of your child’s weight and height.
How Much Leeway Does Your Budget Allow?
This is the part that we dread, don’t we?
The restrictions of prices and budgets.
But here’s the deal, there’s a wide spectrum of hoverboard models all with varying costs. Some may bruise your wallet and others will completely decimate it.
One thing’s for sure, you can get a quality, long lasting, and safe hoverboard for your child that is cost effective.
Whatever your budget is, it’s important to highlight it and set your expectations accordingly. It is entirely possible to spend between $300-$400 for an average but well-crafted hoverboard.
Our best selling board, the DailySaw goes for an impressive $379. It is feature rich and above all, safe.
Can you get a hoverboard for less than this average?
Certainly, but at a steep cost.
If a manufacturer can afford to sell you such a high tech product at an uncharacteristically low price point, it’s fair to assume that safety may not be at the forefront of their process.
Before you make your penultimate decision, simply ensure that the retailer or manufacturer is legitimate and worthy of your trust. As long as you’re vigilant, you will be able to tell if you’re being hoodwinked with a counterfeit product.
Here’s how you can tell the authentic hoverboard brands that are on the market versus the knockoffs.
5 Things Not To Do When Buying A Hoverboard For Your Child
I think we’d all agree that the “Don’ts” are just as important as the “Do’s” so let’s get right to it.
- Going Cheap at the Expense of Safety
We’ve already looked in detail at the price points as well as the safety features of the ideal hoverboard.
Three hundred to four hundred dollars is standard and premium models will sometimes break the 1K price point. Anything below the standard will almost certainly have quality control issues. Unless perhaps you’re purchasing hoverboards in bulk from a retailer, which is likely not your goal here.
If your budget has no squeeze room for a standard model, it’s wise to wait and save rather than going all in on a ridiculously cheap and shady model. What you can expect by taking the safe route is a board that is compliant with the UL 2272 certification and also has some safety features that are intrinsic to the design.
- Not Buying and Wearing Safety Gear
Hoverboards are undeniably cool.
It seems like an out-of-this-world experience, it’s unconventional, and maybe even a tad bit rebellious.
It’s no wonder that they’ve skyrocketed to popularity over the last two years. But the hoverboard has also gained some notoriety where safety is concerned.
Anyone, and children in particular, can easily get hurt without the necessary safety gear.
Here’s a safety checklist that will come in handy:
- Kneepads, helmets, elbow pads, and other safety wearables should be worn at all times.
- Comfort is also a safety mechanism. It would be best to wear comfy clothes and shoes when riding your hoverboard. Athletic wear is made of material that will reduce friction and aid movability which is what you want.
- Crowded areas, hallways, and streets are a no-no.
- If it’s wet or dark, the risk is multiplied by a tenfold so avoid riding in these conditions.
- Read the instructions in the manual or on the manufacturer’s website.
- Use the “learner/beginner” mode if your hoverboard has that option.
- Approaching The Process With Apprehension or Fear
Your gut tells you to go for it, but your mind is conjuring up all the things that can go wrong.
Will you be disappointed with the purchase and are you paying the right price?
Will your children be underwhelmed or worse yet, will they be safe?
Is this thing even easy to ride?
These are a number of legitimate concerns that may make you uneasy.
But hear this, fear is never the right emotion to charge a purchase for your child.
And in truth, you may never know what the exact outcome is.
But here’s what we do know:
- Children love the idea of owning a hoverboard as the stats have shown.
- Safety can be guaranteed with an authentic hoverboard model and the appropriate safety gear.
- It takes no special skill or athletic prowess to get the hang of controlling a hoverboard.
- While the price is always right when it assures safety, you can also get exactly what you want while respecting your budget.
- Most companies will provide a payment plan option to reduce the cost of actually acquiring the hoverboard. At StreetSaw, this is as little as $25/month. That can’t be beat.
I hope these facts dissipate any angst or apprehension you may have.
- Underestimating Your Child
This point is tied to the previous.
Fear can lead you to underestimating your child’s ability to really run - or in this case- glide with the idea of mastering the hoverboard.
You may be tempted to play it safe or to hold back on the features. Well, children are sponges - they pick up skills and lessons with fervor and excitement. Make this a learning experience and you’ll have no regrets.
Earlier in this guide, we got a look into the endless benefits of hoverboards for kids:
- Increase their smarts
- Boost the quality of their social lives
- Foster their discipline and perseverance
- Enrich their athleticism
This is all the essence of the hoverboard technology - a perfect semblance of fun and education.
- Being Conservative With Design
Is this really important?
As surface centric as it might sound, design matters.
For an adult, this may not be a big deal. It may not even be a deciding factor but children are different.
They want their toys and gadgets to be in keeping with their personality and their favorites. The hoverboard caters to that demographic perfectly.
Whether you’re looking for solid colors or patterns, you will find a design that is just right for your child.
StreetSaw’s collection is particularly impressive. We make available:
There are also a plethora of patterns, designs, and features that you can incorporate into your ultimate hoverboard.
The Top StreetSaw Hoverboard Models For Children
You’re ready for your children to get away from the TV and computer screens. Yes, you want them to have fun but not at the expense of missing out on the outdoor experience.
The hoverboard is that catalyst for change. You won’t have to do any convincing or fight any tough battles - it’s an easy win.
Now, it’s simply a matter of selecting the smart board that is exactly right for your child.
What do we have in store and what do the kids go crazy for?
Here are our top picks for children:
KidSaw Mini Hoverboard For Kids (4.5 inch wheels)
This is the only hoverboard designed specifically with children in mind.
It’s not a standard model that can “maybe” suit children. It’s custom-crafted and guaranteed to fit the younger demographic.
True to nature, it dawns a tiny bear design on the foot pads that are very popular with kids and the wheels are only 4.5 inches. This makes it not only stylish but notably safe.
Other unique features include:
- A small and compact frame which makes it easy for children to carry
- A low profile so it’s easy to mount
- No physical foot sensor
- Comes in several colors (Red, white, green, and blue) to suit any personality
- Has a top speed of 3.1 mph for safe riding
- A minimum weight capacity of 22 pounds and maximum 132 pounds
- Has a power status indicator
See all the specs here.
DailySaw (6.5 inch wheels)
The DailySaw 6.5 inch hoverboard is by far our best seller. It’s great for adults but it’s also perfect for children due to its small wheels.
Other unique features:
- Dual, front facing, LED safety lights
- Optional protective bumpers
- Top speed of 10.5 mph
- Optional bluetooth speakers
- Rich variation of colors
- Weight capacity of 265 pounds
- Power status indicator
- Highly efficient Samsung battery pack
See all the spec here.
Future Saw (6.5 inch wheels)
Safety? Double check.
The FutureSaw is one our latest models and it’s also a popular option for children. Here’s a young rider on this hoverboard showing off his moves.
Other unique features:
- LED lights
- Small 6.5 inch wheels
- 285 pound weight capacity
- Power status indicator
- Multiplicity of colors
- Minimum weight of 44 pounds
- Top speed of 12.5 mph and range of 12.5 miles
See all the specs here.
CoolSaw (6.5 inch wheels)
At StreetSaw, this is known as the Lamborghini of hoverboards.
Its flashy, it’s tough, and it’s definitely got the cool factor. Unlike most of our hoverboards, it doesn’t come with bluetooth so this may appeal to those who do not desire that feature.
Other unique features:
- Safety lights
- Sharp, standout design
- 265 pounds maximum weight
- Top speed of 9 mph and range of 12.5 miles
- Power status indicator
- Battery life of 5-6 hours and charge time of 90-120 minutes.
See all the specs here.
Let’s end with a simple question:
What does a smile on your children’s face mean to you?
How about a pep in their step?
The world, I bet.
And you agree.
So what’s left to do? Peruse through the options at the top of the page and make today the day that you gift your child with their dream gadget.